Timing: 30 minutes or less
Type: Pantry meal
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
6 baking potatoes (e.g. Russet, Yukon gold)
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup A1 steak sauce
3 large tomatoes, chopped (about 3.5 cups) OR 2 cans (28 oz, total) diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 pkg taco seasoning mix OR the following spices:
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp dried oregano
(If you don’t like spicy foods, halve this part of the recipe)
Shredded cheddar cheese, to taste (optional)
1. Chop onion, garlic, and tomatoes (if fresh). Drain and rinse beans. Rinse and scrub potatoes, remove any eyes (read: odd protrusions).
2. Warm oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until onions become glossy and translucent.
3. Stir in steak sauce, tomatoes, beans, and seasoning mix. Heat to a boil.
4. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10-15 minutes. The chili should thicken a bit.
5. While chili is simmering, stab potatoes in multiple places with fork or knife. Place on plate in microwave, and cook on high for 6-8 minutes for two potatoes, 12-15 minutes for six potatoes. They are fully cooked when a fork can easily be inserted and removed.
6. Slice a potato, top with chili, top that with shredded cheese, and serve!