Timing: About 30 minutes.
- 2T olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 lb. cooked chicken sausage or 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 T dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Winter variation: 2 cans diced/stewed tomatoes, 2 carrots, and 4-5 chard leaves
- Summer variation: 4-5 medium tomatoes, 1 red bell pepper
- Spicy variation: Dash of cayenne pepper, 1 jalapeno pepper
1. Chop the sausage. Dice the garlic and the jalapeno pepper (if applicable). All other vegetables should be coarsely chopped. If using fresh tomatoes, be sure to keep the juice. Drain and rinse the black beans.
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add sausage and any veggies other than the tomatoes and garlic. Cook about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender.
3. Add garlic, and cook ~1 minute.
4. Stir in beans, tomatoes, and spices. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low.
5. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.